Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Celebrating 130 Years

This year, my church is celebrating it's 130th anniversary. This is cause for many celebrations.

The main part of the celebrations happened this past Sunday.

In the morning, church went on mostly as usual but with a few extra awards to make it last a full four hours from 8-12.

But, after lunch is when the real celebrations began. After church, the choir (myself included) moved quickly to the almost completed social hall that the church is building where rice and loaka was waiting for us to eat quickly so we could continue on to the concert we were supposed to be performing at. Before church, I had no idea of the plan for the day. I only knew that I was supposed to bring my choir t-shirt a bright colored skirt and t-shirt and my choir robe.

When we got to the event space I realized that the event we were performing at was a luncheon fundraiser for my church. There was lunch, auction, dancing and choirs.

Here are some pictures from the day:

Elina and I dressed in Betsileo (the tribe in Fianar) attire for one of the songs we sang. 

More Betsileo attire!


The event space with some choir members waiting to perform.



More of the choir waiting to perform.

Lanto and Lucille ready to sing!


Me with the newest member of Solofin'i Davida! The baby of two choir members. 
Also, don't mind the gauze on my hand....I fractured my finger a few weeks ago, but no need to worry!

Two other little choir members, Toky and Kanto!


More choir members looking very Betsileo.


I got gifts! One of the orginizers of the event said that since I knew how to dance the Betsileo dance, he would give me a t-shirt and hat! Also, you can still see the remaining bits of my red cheeks from my special Betsileo make-up!

Our outfits for another song we sang. 

No comments:

Post a Comment